Child Visa

CHILD VISA (101) OR (802) VISA

The 101 (offshore) and 802 (onshore) visas are permanent residence visas.

General Requirements:

  • Sponsored by a parent or a parent’s partner who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Single
  • Less than 18 years old; or 18 to under 25 years, full-time student and financially dependent on parent; or 18 years or older with disability and financially dependent on parent

 The visa holder can:

  • Travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Access Medicare
  • Apply for Australian citizenship after four years’ residence in Australia
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence


  • This is a temporary visa for a child of a parent who holds a Temporary Partner (820 or 309) visa and has not included the child in the application.
  • The child can be in or outside Australia when applying for this visa.
  • If the child’s siblings are also applying for this visa, they must lodge separate applications.
  • This visa is valid while the parent’s Temporary Partner visa is valid.
  • If granted, the child needs to apply for a Permanent Partner (801 or 100) visa before the parent’s Permanent Partner visa application is decided.

General Requirements:

  • A biological child, stepchild or adopted child of the parent who holds a Temporary Partner (820 or 309) visa
  • Sponsored by the same person sponsoring the parent
  • Child is not married, engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship
  • Less than 18 years old; or more than 18 years and financially dependent on the parent holding the Temporary Partner visa, or incapacitated for work due to total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions

Do you have any questions? Not sure whether you are eligible for this visa?