Student Visa


This visa allows a person to study and generally work part time in Australia.

Rights of a student visa holder:

  • Study in Australia
  • Bring your family members
  • Work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during course breaks
  • Family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight; if you are doing a postgraduate course, they can work unlimited hours
  • Spouse/partner can study in Australia for up to 3 months; for longer study, your spouse/partner must apply for own student visa.

General Requirements:

  • If applying in Australia, you must either hold an eligible substantive visa or apply within 28 days of holding a student visa, special purpose visa or dependent diplomatic visa
  • Certificate of Enrolment (COE) or Letter of Offer from school as proof that you have been accepted for full-time study in a registered course
  • Sufficient funds to pay for your travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself and any joining family member
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
  • Adequate English language skills subject to exemptions
  • Meet character requirement
  • Meet health requirement
  • If you are under 18 years old, you must have consent from your parents or guardian and have acceptable arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of the visa or until you turn 18, whichever happens first
  • You must provide birth and marriage certificates for all your accompanying family members


This is a temporary visa granted to a student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older.  The student guardian is allowed to come to Australia to provide care and support to the student who is under 18 years of age, or older given exceptional circumstances.  The visa validity period is determined by the student visa holder’s stay and age.