Parent Visa


The 103 (offshore) and 804 (onshore) parent visa holders are entitled to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship after 4 years’ residence in Australia
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

General Requirements:

  • You must have a sponsor who:
    • Is an Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • Has lived lawfully in Australia for at least 2 years immediately before the visa application is lodged
  • Your sponsor must be your child, or your child’s spouse or de facto partner
  • Meet the balance-of-family test which requires at least half of your children (including adopted and stepchildren) are Australian citizens or permanent residents
  • Not an applicant for or a holder of 870 Sponsored Parent visa
  • Aged Parent 804 visa must be at least 66 years old or of pension age in Australia
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Assurance of Support
  • Willing to wait in a queue as this visa can take up to 30 years to process


There are different types of Contributory Parent visas:

Onshore Contributory Parent visas

  • Contributory Aged Parent (Migrant) 864 visa
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) 884 visa

Offshore Contributory Parent visas

  • Contributory Parent (Migrant) 143 visa
  • Contributory Parent (Temporary) 173 visa

The visa requirements and the entitlements of the contributory parent visa holders are similar to those of Parent/Aged Parent visas.  However, Contributory Parent visas have:

  • Substantially higher visa fees
  • Higher Assurance of Support bond held for a longer period
  • Significantly shorter processing period, from 3 to 5 years
  • Higher priority for processing applications

A parent can apply directly for a permanent contributory parent visa (864 or 143), or go through a two-stage application process—temporary then permanent visa (173 then 143; or 884 then 864).  The temporary visa (173 or 884) is valid for two years and cannot be extended or renewed.  The temporary visa holder can apply for a permanent visa (143 or 864) within the two-year period.  Holders of 173 or 884 visa who lodged a permanent parent visa application may be eligible for Medicare.

Do you have any questions?  Not sure whether you are eligible for this visa?